McGregor’s first annual maker fest is quickly approaching. Workshops will be opened to the public after April 1 – so sign up now! No tickets at the door.
- All Ages – all abilities.
- General admission is $10 is for school age kids (free for under 4 and parents). General admission tickets will be available at the door.
- Pizza lunch fundraiser for Wired on munchalunch with tickets.
- NEW: Mini-Me LEGO Mini figure t-shirts will be available for $10 at the Mini Maker Fest. Assemble yourself from mini figure pieces and print it on a t-shirt to take home
The Mini Maker Fest has two components: General Admission and Breakout Workshops.
$10 for all the General Admission activities in the Gym including:
- Drawbots with the Toronto Tool Library
- Make your own mini light saber
- Built and paint a mini BB8
- Color and Create LEGO-themed buttons
- Learn about joining the FIRST LEGO League clubs for 6-9 and robotics teams for 9-11 year olds
- Interact with code, presented by HATCH
- Mini Me T-shirts(+$10 fundraiser for WIRED), assemble yourself as a LEGO Mini figure and print it on a t-shirt to take home
- Pizza Pi lunch (+$ fundraiser for WIRED), pre-order on Munchalunch
$5-$20 optional Breakout Workshops available for sign up on Munchalunch, including:
Wee Weaving (all ages, $5) – Using everyday materials, learn to craft your own frame and then weave colorful and unique piece of art to take home. Presented by parents!
Dots & Dot Robotics (JK-2, $10): Using entry level robots Dash & Dot, Logics Academy will ignite the kids’ imaginations with this one hour interactive workshop. Control Dash & Dot to move, light up, make sounds, and interact with each other. Offered by Logics Academy, http://logicsacademy.com/dash-dot-workshops/
Build a Wooden Race Car (JK-3, $20): Never too small to build, this maker workshop is designed for little hands. Kids will build a working, all wooden car from a pre-set kit designed by Ucandoit, an experienced team that shares their love of woodworking with youth. Learn the basics of assembly and take the finished car home to show off your new maker talent. http://www.u-can-do-it.ca/media.php
LEGO Mini Builder Level 1 (Grades JK-1, $5)
LEGO Mini Builder Level 2 (Grades 1-3, $5)
LEGO Mini Builder Level 3 (Grades 3-5, $5): Join the Toronto LEGO User Group (ToroLUG) for a whirlwind hour of LEGO! Learn more about the story of the little bricks, take on a building challenge, and share your creation. Participants will get a close up view of unique ToroLUG creations they bring along. Take homes include a photo of the build and maybe a little surprise. https://www.flickr.com/groups/torolug/
Build a Wooden Helicopter (Grades 1-3, $20): A great project for the budding engineer! Ucandoit, an experienced team that shares their love of woodworking with youth, will walk kids through the assembly of this all wood helicopter with working rotor. Take it home and show off your new maker talent. http://www.u-can-do-it.ca/media.php
Bumblebee Pencil Circuitry (Grades 3-5, $20): A pencil with a built-in speaker that changes pitch based on resistance? Kids will build this unique musical device then learn how they ‘map’ different electrical devices to resistance in a circuit, creating sound while investigating the difference between conductors and insulators. Learn how to turn hand-drawn images like a piano into working instruments that play songs – or use your body as a real electric circuit. Kids will take away the pencil for more fun at home. Presented by Logics Academy, http://logicsacademy.com/grade-6-rth17-bumble-bee/